Remember, Local Income Can Be Deposited Where It Is Needed.

An Easy Way to Shift Money Between Funds
September 5, 2020
A Little Trick that Might Help You find More Money for your 2021 Budget
September 5, 2020

Local Income Tax (LIT) can be deposited into any fund.  Most townships determine at the time of the annual budget how much LIT to allocate to each fund. 

However, the trustee can change the allocation at any time.  Unlike property tax, which has to be deposited into the fund for which it was levied, LIT can be deposited into any fund at any time.

If a fund is running short of cash, the trustee is empowered to begin depositing more LIT into that fund, and less into funds that don’t need it.

We don’t recommend changing past LIT deposits that have already been recorded.  It is better to change the current month deposit and any future LIT deposits going forward.

Also, it may be proper to consult the township board.  Generally, a board resolution is not required in order to re-allocate LIT among funds.  However, consultation may be prudent.

Also, of course, it is important to make sure all funds receive enough revenue to cover their expected expenditures. Before shifting LIT, take great care that the fund receiving less LIT will still have enough cash to cover its expenditures for the year.


If you have questions or would like further information, please contact us at

This article is intended to provide information of general interest to local government officials in Indiana. The information is not guaranteed to be applicable or appropriate in particular circumstances. Local officials should consult competent professionals before acting on any information contained in this article. We are not attorneys. The advice of a legal nature should be sought only from qualified attorneys.

We inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for (I) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Copyright © 2021 C. L. Coonrod & Company, CPA P.C.